Ketogenic Diet: One Of The Most Popular Weight Loss Trends in 2019
The start of a whole new year is when everyone else starts making predictions about what’s coming. And in the health arena, this means foreseeing which nutrition fads and diets will become a trendsetter in this 2019.
Last year, there is an eating plan that took the spotlight and is responsible for some impressive weight loss transformations. Professional athletes and Hollywood A-listers even swear by its wonderful benefits. And diet experts predict that it will continue to do take charge this year!
So, what’s that?
The Ketogenic Diet
Having many similarities with the Atkins diet, the Keto diet requires you to ditch the carbs and gobble up on fats!
The reduction of carbs pushes the body into a metabolic state known as ketosis. And when your body is in ketosis, it will become an efficient burning fat machine! This is because, instead of using carbs as energy, the body on a keto diet lacks sufficient carbs and turns to fat instead, shedding and burning those stubborn, unwanted things as fuel.
How To Know If You Are In Ketosis
With keto diet, the most important thing to monitor is if you are still in ketosis state. So, how do you know if you already are in ketosis?
In order to be in ketosis, your ketone levels need to be 0.8 millimoles per liter. You can test your levels using a blood meter, blood sticks or urine sticks. You can also test for acetone levels in your breath with a breath analyzer.
If you do not want those, then tracking and checking how your body feels is the simplest way to know if you have reached that ketosis sweet spot. Some of the simple signs include:
- Keto Breath
Most people ask, does ketosis cause body odor?
No, not the body as a whole, but your mouth.
People usually experience a metallic taste and smell in their mouth because of the high levels of ketones.
If you don’t want such smell on your breathe, then you can easily sort it out by drinking enough water and it should go away.
- Reduced Hunger
Ketones calm your hunger hormone and help you feel full for longer.
- Weight Loss
The keto diet is a popular weight loss trend. So, if you are seeing less fat and some weight loss, then you are likely in ketosis.
- Flu-Like Symptoms
Starting out on the diet, most people will experience symptoms of the keto flu such as lightheadedness, chills, and headaches. Not to worry though, these symptoms should go away after a few days or consider taking enough electrolytes by drinking enough water and eating keto-friendly foods such as avocados that help replenish lost fluids.
How Keto Diet Help You Lose Weight?
Research revealed that the keto diet is far more superior to the usually recommended low-fat diets [1, 2, 3, 4]. In addition, the diet also helps you feel satiated for longer than you can lose weight without tracking your food intake or counting calories.
A study revealed that individuals on a keto diet list 2.2 times more weight than those who take a calorie-restricted low-fat diet.
Foods to Love
With the keto diet, you should enjoy foods like the following:
- Fatty fish such as mackerel, trout, tuna, and salmon
- Meat such as turkey, chicken, sausage, bacon, ham, steak, and red meat
- Cream and butter
- Unprocessed cheese such as mozzarella, cream, cheddar, blue or goat cheese
- Seeds and nuts such as pumpkin seeds, walnuts, chia seeds, almonds, and flaxseeds
- Whole avocados
- Healthy oils such as avocado oil, coconut oil, and extra-virgin olive oil
- Low carb veggies such as peppers, onions, tomatoes, and green leafy veggies
Foods To Hate
Keto diet hates anything that is high on carbs. That means you will need to eliminate:
- Starches or grains such as cereal, pasta, rice, and other wheat-based products
- Sugary foods like candy, cake, fruit juice, ice cream, smoothies, and soda
- Legumes or beans such as chickpeas, kidney beans, lentils, and peas
- All fruit except for small portions of berries such as strawberries
- Tubers and root vegetables such as parsnips, sweet potatoes, and carrots
- Unhealthy fats such as processed vegetable oil and mayonnaise
- Alcoholic beverages