Interview with Dave
1) Introduce Yourself.
Howdy!! I’m Dave Marcus, a 52-year-old principal engineer, security researcher
and director of intelligence for McAfee’s Advanced Programs Group. I am a
lifelong powerlifter, hacker and family man.
2) How did you eat before Carnivore.
Prior to discovering carnivore, I had been eating a ketogenic diet for almost a
year and had excellent results. Prior to committing to keto, I had been following a
macro-based system and was having limited success. I had previously done well
eating a macro-based diet, but my lifting and gym performance always suffered,
and I was always hungry.
3) Why did you try Carnivore to begin with.
Fascination mainly. I had been doing very well on strict keto but started reading
Meat Health and got involved in a few carnivore/keto groups on Facebook. I was
flat out fascinated by the health benefits that people were seeing from eating a
fully meat-based diet. The Magic Pill documentary also had a big impact on me, as to
how eating keto positively impacted diabetes, autism and metal health issues and I found
the idea of full carnivore to be equally compelling. I started asking myself
questions like, “do I need carbs at all?” and “how much healthier can I become?”
and even “how far can I take this?”.
4) How do you personally approach the Carnivore Diet.
What works for me is a lot of red meat like burgers, brisket and steaks. I also eat
quite a bit of bacon. We have a Traeger pellet grill and do almost all of our
cooking at home. I prep and cook 90+% of all my weeks meals on the weekend
and it works very well. Very simple prep: just salt and a variety of spices from
Tacticalories. I like heat and spice with pretty much all my meals. Your success
will be all the more assured if you take control of your meals via meal prep.
5) What benefits have you seen since starting the Carnivore Diet.
Leanness, strength and performance increases have always been my main
concerns and I have seen increases in all these areas. I am a powerlifter so the
weight on the bar means a lot to me but being over the age of 50, I wanted to be
way leaner as well. Carnivore has suited this perspective perfectly. I never had
food allergies or related dietary issues, but I have found I simply do not need
carbs to train or perform well.
6) What negatives have you found with the Carnivore Diet.
The only downside, if it could even be called that, is people thinking we who eat
this WOE are batshit crazy and then feeling the need to comment. I got the same
reactions when I fully committed to eating keto but quite frankly I am one of those
people who really does not care what people think. I have always been disciplined in my approach to eating and training. Seeking out like-minded groups has always been important, as well as to keep the haters at bay.
7) Do you exercise on the Carnivore Diet, if so how do you find it and what do you do.
I am a lifelong powerlifter, I walk a lot as well as bike. The impact of
keto/carnivore has been nothing but positive for my lifting numbers and I have
seen no negative impact whatsoever on my biking either. As a matter of fact, I
tire and fatigue WAY less biking now than ever before. I am posting some of
my best times ever. I think carnivore suits a powerlifting training regime quite well
8) What piece of advice would you give someone who is interested in trying this diet, but hasn’t taken the leap yet.
Honestly evaluate why you are looking at the carnivore WOE and what your long-
term goals are. I wanted to get lean, be strong and fit. Keto/carnivore suited this
perfectly. I had and have no health issues, so I never had to look at carnivore or
even keto from that perspective but I was always very intrigued by the reversals in
long-term health issues that my fellow carnies have seen. If it works so well in
reversing long-term health issues, then it deserves serious consideration as a
lifestyle for any human who wants to live optimally. Get some goals, get a plan
and follow it without excuse.
9) Do you think Carnivore will ever be accepted as a mainstream diet.
Nope, but why should we even care. The great herd of the human mainstream
are influenced by wrong thinking, hashtags and echo chambers. I do not consider
carnivore to be my diet, I consider it part of how I live and the opinions of sheep
do not concern me.
10) Anything you would like to add, and where can people follow your journey.
Switching first to keto and now to carnivore has benefited me greatly. I enjoy the
meals and the benefits, but I knew why I got into it in the first place. I had, and
have goals. Know yourself and why you are looking at this WOE. It is an
awesome WOE but the haters will find you. Mainstream doctors will not support
you, your family and friends may even try to sabotage you. Make sure you go in
with both eyes open and have support. There are some awesome Facebook
groups like Principia Carnivora, Carnivore Corner and Meatogenic Surfer and
they are populated by all sorts of people from all sorts of backgrounds who came
to carnivore for a variety of reason. You will find that your goals and issues are
not unique and that you are not alone. Instagram @davemarcus007
Now stop reading and go eat a steak.
Ketogenic Endurance – I hoped you enjoyed this post.
If you like what I am about, check out the below.
- Carnivore Fit Expanded Edition: eBook/paperback book detailing how to adopt the Contemporary Carnivore Diet, and how to exercise on it.
- Carnivore Diet Success Stories Facebook group.
- Carnivore Diet Success Stories Newsletter.
- I have a range of apparel on Amazon US/UK/DE, with Amazon Prime delivery.
- I have a different range of Apparel and Accessories on Etsy. As a thank you for reading this article, you can use the Discount Code KETOGENICENDURANCE10 for 10% off on my Etsy Store.
- I also sell a range of Journals, Diaries, Notebooks and Planners, again with Amazon Prime Delivery.
- I am an ambassador for the lifestyle brand Descended From Odin, have a look at their apparel and accessories: Click here and get 10% off with the code “ketogenicendurance”
Categories: Carnivore Diet Success Stories