Interview with Jonn
1) Introduce Yourself.
My name is Jonn Øyvind, I’m 30 years old and I’m born and raised in Norway. 5’ 11” tall and currently around 103kg (227lbs). I’m a former carpenter and now work as a civil/constructional engineer.
2) How did you eat before Carnivore.
Until 2014 I was eating a standard diet, with lots of pasta and carbs. My weight was going up, I had always been on the heavier side. I tried calorie restriction, meal prepping and all sorts of things to lose weight. I was 130kg (286lbs) for several years, nothing I did helped my weight, until a coworker told me about the paleo diet, and actually ordered The Paleo Solution by Robb Wolf to my address. This turned my life around. 1.5 years later I was 97kg (213lbs)! After this I have been through a depression, did not sleep enough for a long time, and even if I was still paleo (some months I did keto), my weight got back up to 115kg (253lbs). I would also have problems with digestion issues every now and then, things did not feel right.
3) Why did you try Carnivore to begin with.
I started looking for answers to my digestive problems and wanted to eliminate everything that could be a potential problem. I had heard about the carnivore diet around 2016, stumbling over an article about the Anderson family. I remember thinking that really says something about how little we know about diet and the human body, since all other knowledge I knew said a diet like that would not be good for you. While I was searching for answers to my problems Joe Rogan had a lot of podcasts about the carnivore diet, and I started to look into all the information I could find. Late August 2018 I found that I had to try this diet.
4) How do you personally approach the Carnivore Diet.
At first, I was going to use it as the ultimate elimination diet. I planned on introducing fermented foods after some months, then introduce one thing after another, slowly getting to a keto-like diet that would work for me. This way I could find foods that were problematic, and keep foods that worked for me. Around Christmas 2018 I ended up eating some veggies (paleo safe), but I did not feel so great. So in January, I was back to strict carnivore and feeling great. Now I’m planning to stay carnivore for a long time, I started looking into the research Paleomedicina does on a pure animal based diet with 2:1 ratio of fat: protein (by weight) and see if this further improve my health and can fix my gut issues.
5) What benefits have you seen since starting the Carnivore Diet.
First of all, I feel great! My digestion is better (still not perfect, but I’m working on that). I have almost no cravings, and if I do, it is for meat. It now feels good to be hungry, unlike before when I would get hangry and moody. I’m down over 12kg (26lbs). And maybe the best thing: I spend a lot less time preparing food! I use about 10-20 minutes a day, maximum!
6) What negatives have you found with the Carnivore Diet.
It can be hard when going out eating, they often do not understand my order or just get it totally wrong. Sometimes it gets tiring to have to explain my choices.
7) Do you exercise on the Carnivore Diet, if so how do you find it and what do you do.
I have not done much training on carnivore, but I want to get back into that. I’ve done weight lifting, cycling, and CrossFit before, and love all of it!
8) What piece of advice would you give someone who is interested in trying this diet, but hasn’t taken the leap yet.
Just try it for 30 days, you will not regret it! It might be hard the first weeks if you come from a standard diet, I would recommend figuring out if you want to switch everything at once, or if you are like me and want to take it gradually. Some people like switching everything at once, which is fine. Other like to switch one meal at a time, or do paleo/keto some weeks first. This might help to avoid big troubles like keto-flu and gives you some time for trial and error.
9) Do you think Carnivore will ever be accepted as a mainstream diet.
Sadly, I do not think so, but I really hope it will be more accepted than it is today.
10) Anything you would like to add, and where can people follow your journey.
You can find me on Instagram @carnivoreviking
Ketogenic Endurance – I hoped you enjoyed this post.
If you like what I am about, check out the below.
- Carnivore Fit Expanded Edition: eBook/paperback book detailing how to adopt the Contemporary Carnivore Diet, and how to exercise on it.
- Carnivore Diet Success Stories Facebook group.
- Carnivore Diet Success Stories Newsletter.
- I have a range of apparel on Amazon US/UK/DE, with Amazon Prime delivery.
- I have a different range of Apparel and Accessories on Etsy. As a thank you for reading this article, you can use the Discount Code KETOGENICENDURANCE10 for 10% off on my Etsy Store.
- I also sell a range of Journals, Diaries, Notebooks and Planners, again with Amazon Prime Delivery.
- I am an ambassador for the lifestyle brand Descended From Odin, have a look at their apparel and accessories: Click here and get 10% off with the code “ketogenicendurance”