Interview with Heather
1) Introduce Yourself.
My name is Heather AKA The Wife, and I am married to Steven AKA Ketogenic Endurance! I am a fur-mama to our rescue lurchers, Bambi and Luna. I enjoy camping, walking, running, gym, photography and general self-improvement.
2) How did you eat before Carnivore.
A variety of ways and for a variety of reasons. At worst, I’ve eaten what I want, when I want, with a ‘life’s too short not to enjoy yourself’ attitude. I dabbled in vegetarianism for (misplaced) ethical reasons but this lasted less than a year, as I experienced strong cravings for a traditional Sunday Roast! Most dietary decisions I’ve made were with weight loss in mind – I lost significant amounts of weight on the Weight Watchers and Slimming World diets, however, I found them unsatisfying and therefore difficult to sustain. When Steven discovered the ketogenic diet, I tried it short term but gave up after some stomach issues and struggled to get back on track. I later focused on the Perfect Health Diet, which was quite easy for me and resulted in some modest weight loss. I was eating meat/fish with ‘safe starches’ (mainly potatoes and basmati rice) and vegetables. So in summer 2017, at 5 feet 1 inch in height, I weighed around 9st 5lbs, so although my BMI was still in the healthy range, I was very close to being overweight.
3) Why did you try Carnivore to begin with.
Steven had already tried carnivore and had experienced some positive changes to body composition. At this time I was still on the Perfect Health Diet, so I would come home from work, walk the dogs, then begin preparing what I thought was a balanced meal using a variety of cooking methods, loads of pans, and taking a lot of time! I would be lucky to start eating by 8pm. Steven on the other hand, would have his meal ready in less than 10 minutes – one ingredient (steak!); one pan; no planning or preparation required. One night I was particularly tired, so I thought why not try the meat on it’s own, and forego the starches and vegetables. I thought the meal would be boring, but I was wrong! And it was such a luxury to save all of that time. I basically tried the carnivore diet through laziness!
4) How do you personally approach the Carnivore Diet.
I try to keep it simple the majority of the time, particularly throughout the working week. Breakfasts and lunches during the week include things like gluten-free sausages and hard boiled eggs, cooked in advance. If I haven’t prepared anything, then I will buy a bacon sandwich but discard the bread. My evening meal is always the biggest meal of the day and might include pan-fried steak, roast lamb, pork chops, homemade burger patties, roast chicken thighs, cheese, eggs, or a combination of these things. I don’t worry about being in ketosis, but I do cook with butter a lot of the time. I love homemade bone broth but don’t make it as often as I should. I still drink tea, milky coffee (full-fat milk of course!) and occasionally alcohol. If I am socialising or on holiday, I do not stay carnivore, I just eat whatever I fancy.
5) What benefits have you seen since starting the Carnivore Diet.
Weight loss! Very quickly, and I’ve maintained it easily. Not just weight loss; people tell me that my body shape has completely changed. As I’ve already mentioned, I am 5 feet 1 inch in height – at my heaviest, in summer 2017, I was around 9st 5lbs, with a BMI of 24.7 (25.1 would be considered overweight). I started the carnivore diet at the beginning of December 2017 and on 13 January 2018 I was down to 8st 2lbs. On 24 March 2018, I weighed 7st 8lbs, with a very healthy BMI of 20.7. I have hovered around 7 and a half stone ever since, despite numerous holidays and ‘cheat days’! I feel energetic, I sleep better, and my skin has improved. I also tan much more easily on carnivore.
6) What negatives have you found with the Carnivore Diet.
My alcohol tolerance was never very high but has reduced even further since starting this way of eating. I can’t think of anything else particularly negative! I do still eat non-carnivore foods on occasion, so I don’t feel like I’m missing out. It’s actually easier for me to be carnivore during the working week anyway.
7) Do you exercise on the Carnivore Diet, if so how do you find it and what do you do.
I’ve been running regularly for about 1 year, specifically training for a half marathon. This will continue as I have registered for another half marathon next year. I go to the gym twice a week – kettlebells, dumbbells, resistance bands, and resistance machines. I also walk my dogs for 1-2 hours per day. I try to do yoga for 10 minutes every day but I’m not too strict about this.
8) What piece of advice would you give someone who is interested in trying this diet, but hasn’t taken the leap yet.
Don’t worry too much about what other people think. People may tell you that this way of eating is no good for you – if you are reading this blog then I assume you’ve done your research; trust your judgement.
9) Do you think Carnivore will ever be accepted as a mainstream diet.
I would like it to be more mainstream, to benefit as many individuals as possible. My own journey is predominantly centered around weight loss, however, there are claims that this way of eating has helped many people to overcome a variety of physical and mental health conditions.
10) Anything you would like to add, and where can people follow your journey.
I can be found on www.instagram.com/heather.and.the.hounds. Feel free to say hello!
Ketogenic Endurance – I hoped you enjoyed this post.
If you like what I am about, check out the below.
- Carnivore Fit Expanded Edition: eBook/paperback book detailing how to adopt the Contemporary Carnivore Diet, and how to exercise on it.
- Carnivore Diet Success Stories Facebook group.
- Carnivore Diet Success Stories Newsletter.
- I have a range of apparel on Amazon US/UK/DE, with Amazon Prime delivery.
- I have a different range of Apparel and Accessories on Etsy. As a thank you for reading this article, you can use the Discount Code KETOGENICENDURANCE10 for 10% off on my Etsy Store.
- I also sell a range of Journals, Diaries, Notebooks and Planners, again with Amazon Prime Delivery.
- I am an ambassador for the lifestyle brand Descended From Odin, have a look at their apparel and accessories: Click here and get 10% off with the code “ketogenicendurance”