I have kindly been sent a jar of Performance Nut Butter to provide an honest review, they have had no input in said review.
What is Performance Nut Butter
Performance Nut Butter is pretty self explanatory. It is a nut butter aimed at the fitness and performance market. Especially people who follow Ketogenic, LCHF, Paleo and Vegan Diets. People who are less likely to rely on gels and sugary sports drinks, so require real food alternatives for energy boosts.
This is pretty impressive, there are only 4 ingredients: Macadamia, Cashews, coconut and salt. You would think all nut butters would be like this, but just go and pick up a jar of peanut butter from a supermarket shelf. There is usually a frightening amount of ingredients and stabilizers. The 4 ingredients are all things that I consume on my version of the Ketogenic Diet. Although some strict advocates of Keto, do not eat Cashews as they are not really a true nut and they take a lot of processing to get to the shelf. However I do eat Cashews but just in moderation.
Here’s what the say on their website regarding why they chose the ingredients:
- Monounsaturated Fat – The Macadamia Nuts and Cashews give this product the perfect amount of monounsaturated fats which help increase blood flow to the muscles and the brain and have a general anti-inflammatory effect on the body.
- Oleic Acid – Found in Cashews and Macadamia Nuts it reduces blood pressure, increases fat burning to help with weight loss, protects cells from free radical damage, may prevent Type 2 Diabetes, and generates brain myelin (which is crucial to brain health). This is the fatty acid that makes olive oil so powerful.
- Healthy Saturated Fats – Your body needs saturated fats. If you eliminate them from your diet, you will suffer serious health consequences. Coconuts and Macadamia Nuts contain healthy saturated fats which are necessary for a healthy body and healthy hormone production.
- Natural Electrolytes – Every time one of your muscles contract or one of your neurons fire, your body is using it’s store of Sodium and Potassium (also known as salt). We added just a touch of the best sea salt we can find, which contains the perfect blend of Sodium and Potassium (salt) to keep your body firing on all cylinders.
- Vital Minerals – This product is specifically high in Selenium, Manganese, and Copper which help your body naturally produce energy, antioxidant enzymes, digestive enzymes and much more.
- Essential Vitamins – Performance Nut Butter is naturally high in B Vitamins like B1, B3 and B6. These vitamins help support brain function, healthy blood vessels and energy production.
The nut butter will come in individual pouches, giving you a wider range of possible uses. For example you could take a pouch or two out on a long training run.
I have the jar version. So I have been using it like I would a jar of peanut butter.
I do like the design of the products, they look sharp and noticeable. If the products take off, they will be easy to identify amongst their competitors.
As I follow the Ketogenic Diet I am happy to see products like this on the market. It is made from real food, and is full of healthy fats. Therefore I am very likely to try and use products such as these in my training.
A good nut butter will provide me with energy and fuel in the areas I need it too. So the crucial aspect for me to become a repeat purchaser of such a product will be taste.
AND ……… Oh my days!!!
This is the best nut butter I have ever tasted. I am a fan of Peanut and Cashew Nut Butters. Even the cheap value brand ones. However this is next level nut butter. I love macadamia nuts, I like cashew nuts, I like coconuts, I consume and cook with coconut oil, and I put Himalayan pink salt on almost all my meals. So it comes as no surprise I would like this.
Some peanut butters for example are a bit dry and stick in your palate a bit. This nut butter is super creamy and moist, probably due to the macadamia and coconut. The texture is spot on, it looks like you would expect a nut butter too. Plus the texture and moisture is just right.
All in all, it is brilliant.
As mentioned, I have the jar version. So I have just being eating it in the house. Before I go for a run, I will eat a tablespoon of it on its own. I have also tried it with celery and carrot sticks too. It works in all situations really. I would guess it would be awesome on toast, but I do not eat bread anymore.
It this product was readily available in the UK, I would 100% percent buy the jars and I would definitely try the pouches on runs too.