“There’s nothing in the mechanical world that matches the sophistication, complexity, and multi-tasking ability of the foot” ― Michael Sandler, Barefoot Running: How to Run Light and Free by Getting in Touch with the Earth
A bit of an up and down training week for me, metaphorically and literally.
The Ups –
- Great walk around the Lake District on Sunday, where I completed 2 of the wainwright fells. Binsey and Latrigg. I want to do them all eventually. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alfred_Wainwright https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/0711224617?tag=wainwrightguides-21
- Brought back Yoga into my training. I know I need to do more Yoga, but I am really hit and miss with it. I tend to be motivated for a couple of weeks, and then forget about it for months. I need to establish it as a must do! My favourite running Yoga video I have found is by Adriene – http://yogawithadriene.com/ Maybe I need to set myself some targets, like being able to do a certain pose I can’t complete at the moment. I find meditation similar, sometimes I will do 7 days in a row then I won’t do it for months. I use an iPhone app – https://www.calm.com/
The Downs –
- Parkrun – I have reviewed the Parkrun race already, so I won’t repeat myself. Just a disappointing run. http://www.parkrun.org.uk/sedgefield/
- I only got one other run in this week, on Thursday night. As I rested my calf on Tuesday, as I didn’t want to re-injure it. This run was at my usual MAF training heart rate of 139. Following the Phil Maffetone method – https://philmaffetone.com/method/
I conclusion there are a lot of parallels between marathon training and another hobby of mine Poker. In Poker the bad beats sting more and last longer in the memory, than the times when you put your chips in with the worst hand and end up getting lucky. So it’s important to remember I am running for enjoyment, and health. So I need to be more mindful, enjoy the runs and enjoy the process. There is no benefit to getting hung up on the negative.
- Races – in 2017 I want to race in minimum of two 10k’s, two Half Marathons, and the Bournemouth Marathon on the 8th October 2017.
- Training – Using mainly the MAF Test method by Phil Maffetone.
- Technique – Barefoot Running. Currently wearing Freet Footware – Meta Ayr. 4mm sole, zero drop.
- Diet – Ketogenic Diet & LCHF, based around a Primal way of eating unprocessed real food.
Workouts: 15/10/2016 – 21/10/2016 (exported from my Final Surge account) – www.finalsurge.com
Saturday, October 15, 2016
Completed: 3.14 mi ~ 31:49 (10:07 min/mi)
Post Workout Notes: Started off really well, but then felt my left calf a mile into the race. So had to jog the last 2 miles. Disappointing.
Sunday, October 16, 2016
Walk up two fells in the Lake District, Binsey and Latrigg.
Completed: 5.3 mi
Post Workout Notes: Two relatively easy fells, but a good endurance workout overall.
Monday, October 17, 2016
Morning walk towards my weekly mileage.
Completed: 2.73 mi ~ 49:28 (18:06 min/mi)
Post Workout Notes: Legs were heavy from the Fell walking yesterday. However they loosened off by the end. Achilles seem a little tender.
Tuesday, October 18, 2016
20 minute Yoga Video from You Tube – “yoga for runners” search.
Post Workout Notes: Good short yoga video. Easy to follow and there was a lot of hip opening exercises. Which I need!
Wednesday, October 19, 2016
Morning walk before work.
Completed: 2.84 mi ~ 52:40 (18:30 min/mi)
Post Workout Notes: Nothing to report really. No injuries. Legs feel fine.
Thursday, October 20, 2016
25 minute Yoga session
Post Workout Notes: I did a yoga video from YouTube called Yoga for Runners by Adrienne. This is my favorite one I have found. I think I will be doing this a lot. Lots of hip openers and deep stretches ideally would like more calf work in it.
Run under MAF training rules of 139 max heart rate.
Completed: 3.16 mi ~ 43:20 (13:41 min/mi)
Post Workout Notes: Did ok. Whilst I haven’t re injured by calves. They felt on the brink of being injured throughout as well as the area around my Achilles. Luckily nothing turned into a proper injury.
Totals: 17.11 miles
Completed Run: 6.31 mi ~ 1:15:09 Completed Other: 10.88 mi
Friday, October 21, 2016
A cheeky rest day, as I am going out for a few beers tonight.
Disclaimer – please see my Donations, Ambassadorships and Affiliates page. Thanks.